Wednesday, July 6, 2011

* Thornton Wilder's Defense of Marriage Act

In the Skin of Our Teeth, Act II, George Antrobus has just announced to Mrs. Antrobus that he is leaving her for Sabrina, their former maid in another incarnation of their 5000 year marriage, and that he wants a divorce.

Mrs. Antrobus :


Well, after living with you for 5000 years I guess I have a right to a word or two, don't i?
. . .
    Calmly, almost dreamily.


I didn't marry you because you were perfect. I didn't even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. 
    She takes off her ring and looks at it.


That promise made up for your faults. And the promise I gave you made up for mine. Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage       . . . And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that protected them; and it wasn't our love, that protected them -- it was that promise."

Act II
The Skin of Our Teeth
by
(the lifelong bachelor)
Thornton Wilder

No comments: