Wednesday, February 10, 2010

* Kicking Yale Around? Vox clamantis in deserto.



























You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore, because gentlemen, this is my last press conference. (November 7, 1962 concession speech after losing the California race for Governor.)

Yale is a Big Boy (or Girl)


Some say I'm kicking Yale around in this blog, the way poor paranoid Nixon always thought the Press was kicking him around

Well, Yale's a Big Girl (or Boy). S/he can take care of her/him self.

I'm just a fly on her royal blue robes to remove with a flick of the finger. (Like flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport).

So I won't respond to that critcism. In fact I have already addressed it in the masthead quote from Proverbs. Enough said.

But I will say this. Yale's student body and its adult attendants, do reflect the best (and worst) of our culture in four year increments. I am not exactly kicking those cultural manifestations around as much as I am providing an antithesis (the anti-Yale) to the solipsistic rhetoric of their generational coccoon. Let's inch the dialectic along.

From what I can tell from the hundreds of posts I read in the posting boards for Yale Daily News articles, these folks are just listening to the same generational tripe (an echo-chamber of mirrors) over and over again. If any one does challenge them it is usually from the vitriolic, sloganizing, superficial Right.

Hence this tiny echo from across the Generation Gap: The Anti-Yale (Vox clamantis in deserto).





No comments: