Thursday, February 25, 2010

* Sorrow













Ellison: We need answers
Raising Hellison
By Matthew Ellison
The Yale Daily News
Published Thursday, February 25, 2010

Andre Narcisse ’12 was one of my Branford little sibs, but beyond the initial meet-and-greet at the beginning of his freshman year, I did not have any interaction with him. To be honest, I didn’t even remember meeting him until after he died when I wondered how we were Facebook friends and found an old e-mail. Sometimes I wonder whether I could have been a better big sib and done something to prevent his death at the hands of “multiple drug toxicity.”
But that’s not the only thing I’ve wondered since I learned of Andre’s death four months ago.
I grew frustrated with the way the...

#1 By A delicate matter 5:49a.m. on February 25, 2010


This piece is filled with heart-felt survivor's guilt and feelings of social conscience, and I hesitate to comment on matters so delicate and earnest. Forgive me please for daring to comment around the fringes of, rather than on, those matters.

In my one-block walk to Patricia's restaurant at Elm and Whalley during my Div. School days, a dude tried to sell me cocaine in broad daylight at the top of his lungs "Want to buy some coke?"

Once while on the same one-block walk I observed someone snort white powder off a tiny piece of paper while seated behind a steering wheel in a parked car.

I worked to assist a prostitute who had AIDS and who continued to solicit on the streets and "boot up" (inject) her buddies with a dirty heroin needle.

And these events occurred 25 years ago. I cannot imagine the situation today now that drug cartels have made their effects known even in sleepy Vermont.

An investigation as the writer suggests would require searching an entire city.

The problem is the CULTURE not the campus or the city.

We seek exhilaration at any cost, including addiction and death.

PK

#2 By Yale 9:20a.m. on February 25, 2010


This is a profoundly irresponsible column from a profoundly uninspiring writer.
#3 By LNC 10:10a.m. on February 25, 2010


You expressed exactly what I have been thinking. I thought that the next step was going to be disclosure of those who contributed to his death. Identification of the source of the drugs is critical to ensuring campus safety. Elimination of drug dealing should be priority number one after this tragic loss of a young life. That is the real way to honor Andre...a Yale community: students, admin, public safety working towards an environment where it is very difficult to purchase or distribute illegal substances.

#4 By Yale mom 10:55a.m. on February 25, 2010

The writer has touched on a phenomenon common to many powerful and influential institutions - that of the code of silence. Damage control at the expense of the whole truth can backfire.



#5 By AMG 5:42p.m. on February 25, 2010

In the Anna Nicole death, there was an investigation...in the Michael Jackson death...there was an investigation.

Why is no one trying to investigate who sold him the drugs? Who was or were the enablers?

Why didn't any of his so called friends alert someone to his increased drug usage?

Why didn't any of his suitemates (probably knowing his drug history) try to wake him up?

Yale is very lucky I am not this young man's mother!!!! They would be in a massive legal battle with me right now.


No comments: