Wednesday, December 30, 2009

* Safe Text? Move Yale to Vermont.















The world is a whore, and I don't want a social disease.

This has been my attitude for the last 25 years (since I left Yale) and the sole reason for my reformer-pen's silence for that quarter century. All that time, I have written nothing to try to change the world, after my preceding twenty years of activism at Ithaca, Kent State and Yale, 1964-84.

What put the pen back in my hand (or the keyboard under my finger's) after all these years?

The surgeon's knife a year ago December 19th, and the real possibility that I might never have an opportunity to say what I want to again: I might have come out of anaesthesia paralyzed--or not come out at all.

That get's you thinking. So does turning 65.

Hence this blog with its 65 posts (now 66) since June, and my 12 other blogs (Click on My Profile in the side panel)brimming with stuff.

Even, if no one reads it, I want the satisfaction of knowing my stuff will outlive me and not simply wind up in a dumpster when my belongings are sorted through, although I suppose a collapse of the Internet could wipe it all out forever.

So I AM right: the world IS a whore, even the digital world.

And there is no truly "safe" text, just as in the world of actual red light districts there is really no truly "safe" sex.

True, some of my stuff is already in the May 4th Collection at Kent State University Archives and The Kent State Collection at Yale University's Sterling Library Manuscripts and Archives.

But Global warming could put Yale University 20 feet under water from Long Island Sound and the Atlantic's Connecticut shore.

Yale just bought a "West Campus" 15 miles from the present one. It would be smarter to move the whole campus to Vermont and leave Harkness Tower to its ultimate fate: a half submerged lighthouse.





















































And Ohio? Archives are no safer from global warming in the midwest. When I lived in Kent, the Cuyahoga River was so polluted with chemicals that it actually caught fire. (No exaggeration.)



















Even so, just on the chance that the digital world is not a red light district riddled with fatal viruses, I've turned one paper which collected dust in Sterling's archives for 30 years into a blog here: The Bound and the Unbound: Oedipus, Isaac and Jesus.


But I know the truth of Ecclesiastes: All will be dust in the wind, or flotsam on the sea, or digits in a cloud with no computer to summon them into being.



I have read The World Without Us.


Winter, the greatest metaphor, will wait, watchfully, then whiten.


Winter wins.





No comments: