Sunday, September 16, 2012

* Parents Challenged to Revolt Across America





America's School Boards:

Look into Your Hearts

and 
Weep in Shame

(excerpted from post below)

I have never used my Yale Divinity School degree in the last 32 years since it was awarded in 1980, except at funerals and weddings.

I thought I would go to my grave having not found  a "cause"  which needed  that degree.

And now that "cause" is clear to me after retiring from twenty-five years as a Vermont public school teacher:

      Children, especially “late bloomers” like myself,  who are being harmed by the cruelty of “standardized testing” need a champion, one whose credentials are not intimidated by the phonies  who run the U.S. Department of Education’s  “Race to the Top”, which tramples on those children every time it forces those kids to take a standardized test and has the unmitigated gall to compare, analyze and publish  those kids and their “so called “achievements”  with other kids around the nation of the same age and grade level who take the test.


  Link to BOOOST (Better Opt Out Of Standardized Testing): 



  
My late Uncle, Harold F. Keane, was poor, and uneducated. I’m not sure he ever finished high school.  He lived in the “projects” in New Haven, Connecticut in the 1950's with my Aunt Gladys and their four children, my cousins.

He may not have been educated, but he knew right from wrong.  

When the Supreme Court  de-segregated the schools in 1956, my uncle, and a black pastor, formed New Haven’s first integrated church.  Both men were “pastors;" they did not have divinity school training. 

They had a better training than my fancy degree, the training of brotherly love.

When I graduated from Yale Divinity School in 1980 in the same New Haven where my uncle began the integration of churches twenty-five years before, I,  like my uncle, had formed my own church, and incorporated it under the laws of the State of Connecticut.

I have never taken a collection or filed an income tax form, because the church only had three members, two female divinity students and myself. There were no "tax-exempt" privileges to declare, because there was no income. In the world of money, it was a "bankrupt" corporation which never filed for bankruptcy. Although it may be "bankrupt" financially, it has never been bankrupt spiritually, for its mission, to quote Father Mapple in Moby Dick,  is "to preach truth to the face of falsehood" though that falsehood be "pluck[ed]. . . out from under the robes of senators and judges."(see full quote below).



(For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matt. 18:20)



I have never used my Yale Divinity School degree in the last 32 years since it was awarded in 1980, except at funerals and weddings.

I thought I would go to my grave not having  found a “mission” (see note below) for that degree.

And now that 'cause' is clear to me after retiring from twenty-five years as a Vermont public school teacher:

      Children, especially “late bloomers” like myself,  who are being harmed by the cruelty of “standardized testing” need a champion, one whose credentials are not intimidated by the phonies  who run the U.S. Department of Education’s  “Race to the Top.”

 By the way, this "Race" tramples on those children every time it forces "late bloomer"  kids to take a standardized test and then has the unmitigated gall to compare, analyze, and publish as a "report to the nation" the results and their so called “achievements” or "deficiencies" with other kids around the nation of the same age and grade level, who take the test.

To compare “late bloomers” with other kids and label their achievements as “deficient”, is a form of discrimination, a subtle form, but a form of discrimation nonetheless, and may violate the Civil Rights laws.

School Boards in America, look into your shameful hearts. 

Do you weep for allowing such cruelty and discrimination against “late bloomer” children?

I think not.


Paul D. Keane,

M.A., M.Div. M.Ed.


 NOTE:  By "mission" I do not mean  a religious "calling."  I mean "champion a cause"  and that this project "requires" the pompous credentials of Yale in order to challenge the big guns of the U. S. Department of Education, which , BTW, Ron Paul would abolish and give its funding back to the states.

_____________________________________________Entire quote:

"Jonah did the Almighty's bidding and what was that shipmates? To preach the truth in the face of falsehood, no shipmates, woe to him who seeks to pour oil on the troubled waters when God has brewed them into a gale, ye, woe to him who as the pilot Paul has it: 'while preaching to others is himself a castaway.' But delights is to him, who against the proud Gods and commodores of this earth, stands forth his own inexorable self. Who destroys all sin, though he pluck it out from under the robes of senators and judges!"






 from Father Mapple's sermon



Moby Dick

Herman Melville









No comments: