Saturday, October 1, 2011

* When Fienance Last in the Dooryard Bloomed


theantiyale 

Harold Bloom disagrees. “Alas,” he groaned, “This is the death of the mind. That is not my vision of Yale University.”
HEED HAROLD.
1

River_Tam 6 hours ago

"Oh no, too many Yalies are making six figure salaries out of college!"
#firstworldproblems
All these professors can sit around saying that people shouldn't go into banking or consulting, but at the end of the day, people like me who grew up poor know the immense value of a hundred grand in guaranteed income (and it IS guaranteed - it's basically impossible to get fired from one of these jobs unless a major market crash hits or you kill someone). These professors seem to have forgotten that not everyone lives as well as they do.
(I liked the article)
1

syml10 

People like me also grew up poor -- but we're lucky and Yale's rich and it allowed me to graduate without debt. This, in turn, gave me the freedom to not go into something like consulting and, instead, spend a year with a nonprofit directly helping a community and yes, being very poor and, gasp, even very happy. I can definitely see the appeal of a six-figure salary (I would love me some new shoes, believe me), but you're selling yourself short if you think that having grown up without means limits your choices after graduation, River_Tam.
Awesome article. And best quote from Harold Bloom I've ever seen in the YDN. God, I miss that man.
0

theantiyale 

(and it IS guaranteed - it's basically impossible to get fired from one of these jobs unless a major market crash hits or you kill someone)
The aforementioned "guarantee" is a recipe for rotting the soul.
Every year one of my students says to me, "You have four college degrees and you're ONLY a high school teacher?"
ONLY.
Are you kidding?
It is a miracle and a privilege to see ideas smuggle their way into teen-agers' heads.
I consider myself the luckiest (and happiest) person I know.
Paul Keane
M. Div. '80
M.A., M.Ed.

No comments: