Monday, February 11, 2019

* My Life With Clutter


Everyone can’t be Marie Kondo


  • New Haven Register (Sunday) (New Haven, CT)
  • By Paul Keane

Paul Keane sees certain amount of charm in clutter.

If you walked through my house, you would be amazed at how neat everything is: A place for everything and everything in its place.

Except for half an inch of dog and cat hair, it is remarkably clean too.

But lurking behind this deceptive exterior order, is a secret life of clutter.

Clutter increases exponentially. I know this truth from living in my house for 27 years.

No matter how many times I’ve had Oakes Trucking and Disposal cart away truckloads of outdated and broken or just plain unwanted stuff, the remaining clutter multiplies even faster, and fills my drawers, my closets, my cellar, my garage, my file cabinets (and my mind) with more and more clutter.

I even had a carpenter come in and turn my closets into bunk beds, with upper and lower poles to hang things from, thinking I would give breathing space to the dozens of shirts and pants that were jammed together inside. And instead of breathing space like you see on Home and Garden TV closets, I soon had two levels of stuff that was jammed together instead of one.

Unintended consequence: the cat could now reach easily the lower level clothes and pull down shirts to make a comfy little nest to sleep in on the floor.

It’s not that I had never seen neatness.

My 88-year-old Uncle Walter had a great way of organizing his workbench. Nails and screws and tacks and rivets, nuts and bolts and anonymous tiny metal junk all went in pickle jars.

He nailed the tops of the pickle jars to a 2-by-4 over his workbench and filled each pickle jar with a different species of metal junk, screwing the jars back on to the stationery tops he had nailed there.

In other words, he could see at a glance where his nails and screws and bolts and nuts were located.

When I set up my own workbench. I rejected that idea as old fashioned and risky because the glass of pickle jars could shatter and make a dangerous mess.

Instead I collected coffee cans and used them to organize my work bench. Unfortunately, they took up space on the bench so I had to build make-shift shelves so they would only take up a coffeecan width of space. Gradually my work bench was shrinking to accommodate the cans and their shelves. It was becoming more like a large shelf itself.

In addition, since I couldn’t see what was inside the coffee cans, unlike Uncle Walter’s pickle jars, I had to leave “some items” out of the coffee cans and on the bench in front of the shelves for easy access, making the bench even narrower and less useful for working on projects that require space.

Soon “some items” became more items and more items became buried in piles of items and the whole method of organization fell apart in my impatience and annoyance every time I heaved a wrench or a hammer or a broken part of a project back on the bench.

Then many of the nails I had put on the wall for the neat hanging of tools soon went unused or used just as random hangers.

This mess, plus my jammed closets, have convinced me that there is a genetic component in clutter that makes it multiply the minute its owner attempts to enslave it into an orderly process called neatness.

Take my kitchen drawer, which has everything in it from tape to extra hammers, glue, screw drivers, and missing pieces of light fixtures, electric tape, and more.

I have organized that drawer three or four times over the last 27 years and it looked great for a day or two until I put “something else” into it.

“Something else” leads to something else and that drawer became a kind of game in my head: I know in my mind’s eye what is in there and if I just rake my fingers through it long enough it will turn up.

It’s almost like hide and seek. I have been promising to organize that drawer again for months now, but I know I will throw things away to make everything fit neatly and then I will regret having thrown away exactly what I am convinced I will need sometime in the future.

And besides, neatness isn’t everything. Quantity reigns. I can fit more stuff in that drawer if it is chaotic mess, than I ever could if it was neat.

Let’s not even talk about my “digital drawer” in the dining room china cabinet with the dinosaur bones of Polaroid and digital cameras and flip-open cell phones and dozens of tangled wires snaked together, surely breeding into dozens more wires the minute I close the drawer and am not watching.

And the linen closet? Forget that. Tissue boxes, toilet paper, and dozens of mismatched pillowcases and sheets are constantly falling out when I open that sedate looking door.

I love watching Home and Garden TV and the modern houses with walkin closets the size of my bedroom. My experience teaches me, that if I had such a closet, it would become a breeding ground for shirts and jackets and sweaters that I just can’t “bear to part with” but wear only once a year, if that often. I still have a leather vest I wore as I hitchhiked across America in 1971.

Recently my android phone sent me a message which says “You have created too many files.”

I went to “settings” and clicked on “device maintenance” and selected “clear”. Voila! The junk files were gone.

Maybe the new world of houses with internet intelligence will offer such a feature: a “device maintenance” button that removes clutter from the house by simply hitting “clear.” Poof.

There goes the charm of my secret life of clutter.

No comments: