Tuesday, December 28, 2010

* End-of-Life-Plan: Scroogenomics



SCROOGENOMICS

``Nothing!'' Scrooge replied.
``You wish to be anonymous?''
``I wish to be left alone,'' said Scrooge. ``Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned [Poorhouses; Union Workhouses]: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.''
``Many can't go there; and many would rather die.''
``If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, ``they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population . . ."

Chapter 1
A Christmas Carol
Charles Dickens

The Christmas  Day headline in the New York Times reads :

Obama Returns to End-of-Life Plan That Caused Stir




The reason it caused a "Stir" and the reason it is the top story on Christmas Day in the New York Times, is because "End-of-Life-Plan" is a euphemism for Scroogenomics: " If the old are going to die, they had better do it in the most economical way possible. No extraordinary life-support for 97-year-old grandpa"(even if he is the famous Dr. DeBakey who several years ago received just such extraordinary care  at age 97 in a heart bypass operation--the very surgery he once pioneered).

Heart surgeon, Dr. Debakey, Dead at 99

No comments: